We can’t perceive ourselves as merely a physical body, we are beings of energy and vibration, radiating our own unique energy. The auric field that carries our energy is composed of different etheric fields that surrounds and overlays our physical body. Each layer graduate from the body and extend outwards interacting with our mind body and spirit.
The auric fields connect our physical body with our external world through energetic wheels which draw prana, Sanskrit word meaning life force or energy, into our body and release it outward. These energetic wheels or vortexes of energy are called chakras.
THE 7 CHAKRAS
There are seven main chakras running from the base of the spine to the crown of the head. Each chakra has specific physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual characteristics. When the chakras are healthy and balanced, they spin and allow the energy to flow through your body and the energetic system with no disruptions. You experience a sense of well-being and you feel healthy. However, if a chakra is blocked this leads to a disruption in the flow of prana causing both physical and emotional issues.
Here’s a quick summary of each chakra:
ROOT CHAKRA | MULADHARA
• Location: Base of spine
• Colour: Red
• Element: Earth
• Role: It is associated with our basic survival needs (food, water, shelter, air, etc.) and with functions such as security, safety, survival, grounding and foundation for living our lives.
• Anatomy associated: Suprarenal glands, blood cells (red and white), bones, DNA, feet, immune system, joints, legs, muscle, prostate, spine, skin, tailbone.
• Excessive: Overly possessive and fearful parent
• Deficient: Homeless; ungrounded; victim, eating disorders and insecurity.
• Balanced: Stable, safe, supported and grounded.
SACRAL CHAKRA | SVADHISTHANA
• Location: Above the pubic bone and below the navel
• Colour: Orange
• Element: Water
• Role: It’s associated with the realm of emotions, feelings, relationships, expression of sexuality, creativity, abundance, feeling the outer and inner worlds and fantasies.
• Anatomy associated: Kidneys, bladder, hips, large intestine/colon, ovaries, uterus.
• Excessive: Manipulative, controlling, lustful and addictive.
• Deficient: Co-dependent, martyr, submissive, doesn’t feel anything and shut down
• Balanced: Healthy relationships, passion, sexual desire, creatively alive, joy and balance.
SOLAR PLEXUS CHAKRA | MANIPURA
• Location: Slightly above the navel
• Colour: Yellow
• Element: Fire
• Role: It’s associated with our personal power, will, motivation, mental abilities, personal identity, ability to take decisions, self-esteem transformation, self-assurance, confidence and self-discipline.
• Anatomy associated: Gallbladder, Liver, pancreas, small intestine, stomach.
• Excessive: Egotistical, self-absorbed; ambitious, self-driven, warrior and desire to take control.
• Deficient: Low self-worth; sensitive servant; feeling disliked; martyr and needing to “do” all the time.
• Balanced: Feeling worthy, healthy digestive tract; trusted sleeping patterns; ability to tune in to gut feelings, trust in yourself and intimacy.
HEART CHAKRA | ANAHATA
• Location: Center of chest
• Colour: Green
• Element: Air
• Role: It relates to our feelings of love, compassion, forgiveness, connection and understanding. This is where the physical and spiritual chakras meet.
• Anatomy associated: Heart, armpits, blood vessels, breasts, arms, hands, lungs, lymphatic system, shoulders, wrists.
• Excessive: inappropriate emotional expression and poor emotional boundaries.
• Deficient: Closed heart, feelings of isolation, can’t feel emotions and panic.
• Balanced: Open, calm, able to communicate with others intuitively through the heart., ability to forgive, understanding that we are all one and letting go to be present or here now.
THROAT CHAKRA | VISHUDDHA
• Location: Throat
• Colour: Blue
• Element: Ether
• Role: This chakra governs our mouth, jaw, ears and neck. It is the home of our communication and is the place for purification as it also presides over the thyroid, which balances our hormones and keeps our immune system healthy.
• Anatomy associated: Cheeks, chin, lips, ears, nose, neck, mouth, thyroid gland, tongue, throat and upper oesophagus.
• Excessive: Wilful, controlling, judgmental and hurtful speech.
• Deficient: Lacking faith, inability to speak up and silent child.
• Balanced: Healthy glands and thyroid; clear communication, intuitive listening, fresh ideas and ability to speak the truth.
THIRD EYE CHAKRA | AJNA
• Location: Forehead
• Colour: Indigo
• Element: Light
• Role: It is associated with your intuition, wisdom, intellect, knowledge, understanding and imagination.
• Anatomy associated: Brain, eyebrows, forehead, eyes, pineal gland, neurotransmitters, regulation of hormone function.
• Excessive: Overly intellectual and overly analytical.
• Deficient: Unclear thought and deluded.
• Balanced: Being able to connect with information that comes from inside or outside of us; a sense of oneness with both humankind and the universe.
CROWN CHAKRA | SAHASRARA
• Location: Top of the head
• Colour: Violet
• Element: Spirit
• Role: This chakra represents the highest level of consciousness and enlightenment. This chakra connects us to a divine source, universal consciousness or God.
• Excessive: Cult leader and egomaniac.
• Deficient: No spiritual inspiration/aspiration.
• Balanced: Flow of energy filling our body and connection to all other beings on the planet; calmness, feeling of support; ability to tap into a higher force and to manifest the things we need in life.
NOW, THE MILLION-DOLLAR QUESTION… HOW TO BALANCE OUR CHAKRAS?
There are different ways to balance the chakras, this includes meditations, visualizations, yoga, energetic healing, colour therapy, crystals or food.
I compiled all the websites I admire in the resources page so please feel free to take a look at them. However, if you are interested in food, you are in the right place! Click here to know how to balance the chakras with food or get inspired by healthy recipes.
Resources: https://www.expressionsofspirit.com/yoga/chakras.htm / https://www.mindbodygreen.com