The question I get asked the most since I live in England is why I moved to the UK, which most of the times has a double meaning; why the *** did you leave the hot weather of Barcelona to move to a country where it rains and it’s cold ten months in one year??.
Since I always like to put a positive spin on things, I normally say that living in England allows me to enjoy my favourite little pleasure throughout the year, such as:
- Stews and warm soups
- A nice comforting coffee or tea
- Hot chocolate drink
When I lived with my parents, stews and warm soups were removed from my mum’s meal planning from May to October and instead, she’d make Gazpacho or Vichyssoise. Throughout Spring and Summer my usual coffee after lunch would turn out to be an iced coffee, and the last thing you would ask the waiter it’s a hot chocolate drink in a bar-terrace in Las Ramblas in the middle of August!
Oh, hot chocolate… I love you, and if it’s accompanied with some churros even more! But let’s just ignore the churros for a minute and let’s make it healthy ok?
This beetroot hot chocolate is so delicious, I would make it every day!
A soon as I saw the recipe on The Green Life blog last February, I wrote it down on my recipes-to-do list and tagged it as “any season” because, seriously, this is not a hot chocolate drink for Christmas or Bonfire night, no way!
Guys, there’s nothing better than a mug of this warming beetroot chocolate at any time of the year in England.
Beetroot Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups almond milk
- ¼ cup packed beetroot cooked and grated
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 6 pitted dates
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- small pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp thick coconut cream
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- Shaved dark chocolate
- Blend the milk, grated beetroot, cacao powder, dates, vanilla, and cinnamon until completely smooth. Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan and gently warm over low-medium heat, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and pour into two cups
- In a bowl, combine coconut cream with the maple syrup and whip with a hand mixer until fluffy. Using your fingers, roll into 1 cm size balls. Top the hot chocolate with coconut marshmallows and chocolate shavings.