The meal I struggled the most with whenever I decided to add more variety to my meal planning was breakfast. After having had the same breakfast meal for over twenty years, which consisted in a couple of toasts with butter and a coffee latte, it seemed there couldn’t be any other quick weekdaybreakfast options for me.
I mean, who makes sweet potato pancakes or eggs Benedict on artichoke hearts at 7am before going to work? I needed to find simple breakfasts for busy mornings, or even better, a breakfast that I could make ahead the night before.
Over a couple of years, I’ve had several breakfast options. For a long time I had homemade granola or smoothies but I found them a little bit hassle to make daily. I also tried with frittatas, which are great because it’s just mixed together and place in the oven, but unfortunately frittatas don’t work with my metabolism at 8am so for me it’s categorised as a brunch meal.
So finally I got the perfect breakfast that it makes me jump out of bed!. This strawberries chia seeds parfait is super healthy, it can be made ahead the day before aaand… it can be a grab-and-go breakfast!
While the recipe’s name is berries chia seeds, this parfait actually has granola, peaches, blackberries and dark chocolate shavings on it.
I love to eat these parfaits enjoying every layer; first, picking with my hands the fruit, tasting the blackberries at a time and then the pieces of peaches. After that, I grab a spoon and carefully I eat the chocolate shavings letting it melt in my mouth. Lastly, I scoop out the granola with some strawberry chia seed pudding leaving for the end the slices of strawberries.
Do you have any particular ritual to eat a meal?
Berries chia seeds parfait breakfast
- 8 large fresh strawberries washed, stems removed and chopped
- 2 large strawberries washed, stem removed and cut in slices
- 1 cup almond milk or any plant-based milk of you choice
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ cup granola
- 2 tbsp chocolate shavings (vegan chocolate for a V version)
- 2 peaches cut in slices
- 10 fresh blackberries
- Place the chopped strawberries and almond milk in the bowl of a blender or and process for 1-2 minutes or until completely smooth.
- In a bowl, pour in the strawberry smoothy, the chia seeds and cinnamon, and using a wire whisk mix to combine. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until the seeds absorb all the liquid.
- Pour half of the mixture into a jar with lid (if you're planning to take it on the go) or into a glass, until half full, then place the strawberries slices around the sides of the glass.
- For the second layer, spoon in half of the granola and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of chocolate shavings. Then top with the slices of one peach, and half of the blackberries, and don't forget to sprinkle more chocolate shavings!
- Repeat steps 3 to 4 to make the second parfait.