This version of maki sushi rolls is made from salmon, cucumber and avocado, and is super easy to make!
Easy peasy maki sushi rolls
- Bamboo mat
For the sushi
- 100 g Sushi rice
- 50 ml Mirin Optional
- 100g g Smoked salmon cut into long thin strips
- 2 Nori sheets
- 1/4 Cucumber cut into 5 long pieces
- 1 Small Avocado cut into long thin strips
- Wasabi paste
- Light Soy sauce
- Pickled sushi ginger
- Rinse the sushi rice in a colander until the water runs clear. Leave to drain for 15 mins. Bring to the boil 200ml water, put the rice in and cover with a lid. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 mins or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat, cover it and set aside for about 15 mins until cooled.
- (Skip this step if not using mirin) Tip the rice onto a large bowl and dress with the mirin, turning frequently as this helps the rice to cool.
- Place 1 nori sheet on a bamboo mat and cover the surface with half of the cooled rice. Lay half of the salmon and cucumber slices along the length of the rice in a strip. Don't overfill as it will be difficult to roll.
- Roll up the bamboo mat slowly, tucking in the closer end of the sushi roll to start a roll and press lightly with both hands. Repeat with the remaining nori, salmon and cucumber. Slice each roll into 6 pieces, and serve with some wasabi, soy sauce and ginger.