I made this version of pesto using spinach, fresh basil, lemon and almonds. Pesto is so versatile, I use it for dipping in bread or for salads as well, and it can be stored refrigerated for up one week.
For the pasta, I opted for rigatoni but you can use penne or another type of pasta. Then, you just need to mix fresh asparagus and peas in and sprinkle some nuts and chilli flakes. I hope you like it.
Pesto, asparagus & pea pasta
PESTO (makes about 240 ml / 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup Almonds
- 100 grams Spinach
- 25 grams Basil fresh
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 small Lemon zest and juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Olive oil extra virgin
- 360 grams Pasta such as penne or rigatoni GF if needed
- 100 grams Green peas fresh or frozen
- 200 grams Asparagus chopped into small pieces
- Almonds Chopped, to sprinkle on top
- Chilli flakes To sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven at 180° C / 355° F and roast the almonds for about 10 minutes. Check on them as they can burn very quickly. Allow the almonds to cool down completely before blending in the pesto.
- Place all the ingredients apart from the olive oil into a food processor. Process until all is chopped small and then start dripping in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Bringing a pot of water to a boil and add the pasta to it. Cook the pasta for 6 or 7 minutes, or until it's firm but no crunchy. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Boil the peas for 2 minutes and stir-fry the asparagus in a hot saucepan for 2 minutes or until tender.
- Toss the pasta in some pesto, mix the veggies in, and sprinkle some chopped almonds and chilli flakes on top.