If you are looking for a low carb and gluten-free bread, you have to try this sage cauliflower and avocado bread loaf.
Seriously, it is so good!
I wanted to come up with a recipe for a healthy loaf of bread that I can treat as an alternative to traditional bread. It’s made mainly from cauliflower and avocado so it has numerous health benefits.
Let’s start with my favourite, avocado.
HEALING PROPERTIES OF AVOCADOS
Unlike other fruits, avocado is very high in fat. Although many people might think it is unhealthy, the truth is that avocado is rich in monounsaturated oils which are considered unique.
Avocados can help to keep inflammation under control, and are also a source of omega-3 fatty acids, which help lubricate joints and reduce arthritis symptoms. Also, its flesh and oil are rich in antioxidants and monounsaturated fats which offer protection from heart disease and stroke.
HEALING PROPERTIES OF CAULIFLOWER
Due to its high content in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, cauliflower can help to nourish your body in many ways.
It’s also high in fibre and water, which aids the digestive system and helps to eliminate toxins from the body. But, what I like the most about this vegetable is that prevents the growth of Helicobacter pylori bacteria. I had this bug living in my stomach for nine months and I can assure you that the symptoms are quite nasty!
You can find out more amazing benefits of the cauliflower here.
Like avocados, there are many ways you can eat these cruciferous, such as cauliflower rice, pizza base, side dish, meat substitute, or bread!
And now, poll time (please comment below!)
What are your favourite ways to eat avocados and cauliflower?
Sage cauliflower and avocado bread loaf
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp celtic sea salt
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp organic honey
- ¾ cup cauliflower rice
- 1 small avocado peeled, pitted and diced
- 4 pitted dates
- 1 tbsp fresh sage finely chopped
- 5-6 fresh sage leaves for decorating optional
- 2 tbsp maple syrup optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C ( 350° F ) and lightly grease and line with non-stick bakingpaper a 6.5x 4 inch medium loaf pan.
FOR THE CAULIFLOWER RICE
- Cut the head of a medium cauliflower into quarters then trim out the inner core from each quarter.
- Break apart the cauliflower into large florets with your hands. If the core is tender, you can chip it into pieces and add it with the florets.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor. Don't fill the food processor more than 3/4 full; if necessary, process in two batches.
- Process the cauliflower in 1-second pulses until it has completely broken down into rice-sized granules. Set aside 3/4 cup of cauliflower rice and store the rest in the fridge up for 3 days.
FOR THE BREAD LOAF
- Add the almond flour, baking soda and sea salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until just combined. Then crack the eggs into the bowl, pour in the coconut oil and honey and process to combine.
- Add the 3/4 cup of cauliflower rice, avocado, dates and chopped fresh sage and process until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf pan and smooth the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes before placing it onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the bread loaf is cooling, heat a small saucepan of water over high heat and bring to the boil. Blanch the sage leaves, then drain on paper towel and set aside. When the loaf of bread is cool enough to handle, top the sages leaves all around the loaf and gently brush with maple syrup until the leaves are stick on well.
Tried making this sage cauliflower & avocado bread loaf ? Share a photo on my Facebook’ page, or tag #ommfoodsrecipes on Instagram.