Looking for an Easter dessert? A cross between french toast and bread pudding, Torrijas is a traditional Spanish Easter dessert. There are many torrijas recipes in Spain, but this one is my mum’s recipe!
Torrijas (Spanish Style French Toast)
- 1 thick bar of slightly stale French bread (Ideally we want the bread from the day before so that it absorbs the milk better)
- 500 ml milk
- 50 gr sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 500 ml olive oil
- 1 egg
- Grated zest of half lemon Avoid the white part
- Ground cinnamon
- Sugar to coat
- Put the milk, sugar, lemon and cinnamon stick into a small saucepan. Heat and when it starts to boil, remove from the heat, cover and wait for it to cool down before soaking the slices of bread, otherwise they will become too soft.
- Cut the bread into slices of approximately one and a half or two centimetres.
- Leave the bread to soak for a few minutes until it has absorbed all the milk and no more remains are visible. Beat the eggs in a bowl, coat the slices of bread on both sides and fry them in plenty of very hot olive oil, turning them over so that they brown on both sides. Drain well and place them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Mix 50 g of sugar with two teaspoons of ground cinnamon (optional) and coat the torrijas in the mixture. Serve with fresh fruit, sprinkle with more sugar, chopped walnuts or just as they are. Of course, it is best hot and freshly made, which is the best time to serve them.
Looking for more puddings inspiration?
Tried making this Spanish Easter dessert?
Browse by Ingredient
Agave nectar Almond butter Almond flour Almonds Asparagus Avocado Banana Beetroot black beans Bread Burgers Butternut Squash Carrot Cauliflower Cherry Chia seeds Chocolate Cocoa powder Coconut Coconut flour Courgette Cumin Dates Easter Egg Feta cheese Ginger Honey Leek Lemon Nori Orange Papapa Parsnip quinoa Raw cacao Rice Rolled oats Salmon Spinach Strawberries Sweet potato Tahini Turmeric Wine